Monday 17 February 2014

SYNAPSE CIRCUIT CYANOGENMOD 11 ON THE HTC ONE X

SYNAPSE CIRCUIT
CYANOGENMOD 11 ON THE HTC ONE X = A NEW LEASE OF LIFE.

#CyanogenMod #KitKat #HTCOneX #Android

Good evening, Good Friends, Synapse Circuit Readers! I hope that all is well with you and yours!

Are you the proud owner of the HTC One X? Yes? Great! Have you, like me, experienced rapid battery drain from the moment the charger is removed? Do you feel stuck with the darned thing? Here’s why you should read this article...

RENEWED LOVE
That’s right! That’s how I am now feeling about my HTC One X! When I first took it home from the Computer Exchange shop I was rather pleased with it, not just because I took a bunch of cheap handsets and other dead tech and used them to contribute to most of the credit but because the HTC One X is actually a beautiful design.

I used it as it was for a couple of days and realized that the battery life was pretty disappointing. Naturally I performed all the tricks that I know to reduce the strain of the battery i.e. reduce screen brightness, removed programs working in the background, used a RAM cleaner, took off the use of my location, etc. Although this did the trick it wasn’t enough! As you know, the battery (of any phone) starts to deplete rapidly when you start using it! I found that using the camera and posting to Facebook would drain my battery within a couple of hours – 3 if I am lucky!

So, I decided to root it and see if that would have any effect on preserving the battery!

ROOTED AND REBOOTED
I am going to tell you right now that I do not like HTC handsets when it comes to the process of rooting! I found it longwinded and it, at least for me, takes a lot of concentration to get it right. Through researching out to root the HTC One X I found sites and YouTube videos that did not seem complete. I know that in order to finish the root I had to get information from a multitude of sources! At one point I thought that I had “bricked” my phone for good! Boy, did I panic! I think I must have stayed up all night to the next morning trying to fix the brick! Staying up all night is a bad thing to do! The best thing is always to grab some sleep and re-approach the process with a fresh mind!

After a massive struggle to understand the various rooting process I managed to install CM10 Jelly Bean on the One X! Even then, the one thing that I neglected to do was to flash the boot.img. Compared to my Samsung Galaxy S2, the HTC One X was and is a pain to root! But once the penny drops it drops!

KEEP AT IT
Don’t give up! You will find that by getting your hands dirty you will learn! I learned a lot and continue to keep learning. The point I am trying to make is that a couple of years ago I never dreamt that I could be rooting a handset and installing different custom ROMs. I used to read Android based magazines and come across the “Hack” section and frown with complete and utter confusion! I am sure that real “Geeks” (and I use the term fondly) will be puzzled at my backwardness. But we all have to learn sometime!

Do Google and YouTube methods of the rooting process – including the installation of a custom ROM and the flashboot boot.img process! It is essential that you know these methods!

Be prepared to get frustrated when you think you’ve clicked on a link to the One X only to find it is for the recent One model! Grrrrr! But you will definitely get there!

And you MUST not forget to flash the boot.img otherwise you will find that although the installation appears perfect, you will not be able to make any calls!

THANKS TO THOSE AMAZING FOLK AT CYANOGENMOD...
...I am able to make the most of my HTC One X! After installing CyanogenMod 11, KitKat I have noticed that the batter lasts for a whole day on standby! I know, it doesn’t sound all that remarkable but I can tell you that before CM11, KitKat on my HTC One X the battery used to just die in my pocket on standby in less than 4 hours! Gosh!

I can now actually get much more use out of the HTC One X and I am no longer thinking of throwing it against the wall!

GET YOUR RECOVERY UPDATED. THE CLOCKWORKMOD RECOVERY OR CWM RECOVERY
The ClockworkMod Recovery software was out of date. I don’t know about you, but I find the information a little hard to wade through when it comes to getting to the root (no pun intended but it works nicely as a pun) of a problem where custom MOD installations go on the HTC One X. Sometimes I HATE that phone!

Wading through the various websites offering help can be a pain in the ass! Some methods look straightforward until you try them... But I have to admit that through not being very patient I miss a few steps!

This is the site where you can get the latest version of the ClockworkMod Recovery for the HTC One X:
http://www.theandroidsoul.com/latest-htc-one-x-clockworkmod-cwm-recovery/

Just take your time and follow the instructions and you’ll be updating your HTC One X in no time with the CyanogenMod 11, KitKat!

To help you out a bit: You need to get your HTC One X in Fastboot mode by rebooting the handset and depressing the power button and volume key down simultaneously. Once this is achieved you can then run the 1-click-cwm-recovery-installer as linked above!

And don’t forget to “flash” the boot.img that comes with the CyanogenMod 11, KitKat ROM (
http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?type=nightly&device=endeavoru) when the handset is in Fastboot mode after the initial installation.

Oh, you need the KitKat version of the Google App Store here:
http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Google_Apps

You need to install this after you have installed CyanogenMod 11!

SYNAPSE CIRCUIT ROOTING


DOWNLOAD THE CYANOGENMOD INSTALLER RIGHT NOW!
Go to the link below and follow the instructions... Oh, another thing... So far the installer is only available for Windows! Bummer! But then again, if you are proficient at rooting, etc then you are probably not missing much...

http://beta.download.cyanogenmod.org/install

I hope this helps!
  

Take good care!


Thank you for watching and reading!

Please check out the Synapse Circuit website for video, i-PDF and more! 

Synapse Circuit Dot Com

No comments:

Post a Comment