Monday 2 February 2015

SYNAPSE CIRCUIT GOOGLE PLAY TODAY: IS APPLE APP STORE SO GREAT?

Above: Apple Play Store.
Below: Google App Store.
Do you see the similarities?

SYNAPSE CIRCUIT
GOOGLE PLAY TODAY:
IS APPLE APP STORE SO GREAT?


Goodhour, Synapse Circuit Readers! How goes it? I hope that all is well with you and yours! Thank you so much for reading my articles last week! Much appreciated!

Today I was some (ongoing) research into the differences between Google Play Store and Apple App Store... Guess what I discovered...

#GooglePlayStore #AppleAppStore #Android #iOS

SIMILARITIES
Looking at both Google Play Store and Apple App Store I can see that they are very similar at a glance. Delving deeper I looked in the category of ‘Productivity’ to see if I could see anything that stood out from either store.

Remarkably, the apps on the App Store didn’t appear to be as advanced as I thought it would be. When it came to word processing, for example, I found that the two stores were equally matched; Docs (Google) and Pages (Apple) both achieve the same goal in producing documents mixing text and images.

As I keep harping on about, the one difference is that when it comes to video editing this is where the App Store has the slight edge in that the iPhone has iMovie preinstalled and there is also version available for purchase that adds more features. Again, the similarities continue with the amount of video editing apps that offer in-app purchases. However, manufacturers like Samsung and HTC have respective video editing apps of their own making that you won’t find within Google Play Store. I can only hope that Google will produce a video editing app at some point soon! It makes sense as they own YouTube!

Each of the stores has an abundance of games (that I don’t have time to play) and the overall category listing is quite similar too! However, Play Store has the edge in ‘Personalization’ apps to give Android a custom look from launchers to keyboards, wallpapers, icon packs, etc. That said, the App Store has the overall edge in terms of app quality. Some Android versions of iOS apps can be lacking in features and this could be down to the developers shifting from another platform; upgrades can bring these anaemic apps up to scratch. It took the Android Facebook app one heck of a long time to get to be as snappy as it is on iOS!

PREDICTIONS
As I have said, 2015 is the year of Android. All the major manufacturers are gearing up to release 64-bit handsets come March and tablets further down the line. As a result I am expecting a leap in the quality of apps. The games on the Android platform are proving to as financially lucrative as games on iOS. I predict that by summer this year Android games will edge out over iOS in terms of sales. I am going to stick my neck out and state that we’ll see many Android developers taking advantage of the 64-bits thus resulting in apps that appear more like computer software. We should be seeing an exponential leap in the quality of Android apps. We’ll get to understand what makes Lollipop so sweet!

And let’s not forget that Samsung has its own app store, Galaxy Apps, which will feature apps specifically for Galaxy handsets. I think that is a good move on Samsung’s part. Galaxy S6 launch is imminent and I am very curious as to what Samsung apps will compliment the hardware. We’ve already got Soundcamp on the Galaxy Note 4 for music composition and compatibility with IK Multimedia products that specializes in music interfaces and apps to assist musical composition. IK Multimedia has done a lot of apps / interfaces for the iPhone and iPad. The future for Android does look very good indeed – at least on the flagship end of the market. I am very interested in what 64-bits will bring to the mid to high-end Android handsets such as the Zenfone 2 from ASUS; will it be able to handle demanding apps with aplomb as you’d expect from the high end handsets? What will these demanding apps mean for non-64-bit handsets such as the Nexus 6 and Galaxy Note 4? Could it be that app developers will have to create 32-bit versions separately? We’ll just have to wait and see! I admit that many of my predictions in the past have been way off! Lol! But the deeper I get in this technological labyrinth the more accurate my predictions have become.

Quality Android apps here we come!

Thank you so much for reading SynapseCircuit!

Watch out for my follow-up on: ANTISOCIALNETWORKING: THE IMMATURITY OF G+ & THE HELLISH SCHIZOID AUTOMATONS...

You may be astonished! Ha ha!

Expect more reviews, news, opinions, competitions and more from Synapse Circuit!

Please check out the Synapse Circuit site here: Synapse Circuit.com

Synapse Circuit for tech news, opinions, articles, reviews and competitions. You will find interactive PDF magazines, videos and links to free legal software! Check it out at Synapse Circuit dot com

A NEW SYNAPSE CIRCUIT WEBSITE IS ON THE WAY! 

No comments:

Post a Comment